Total Pageviews

Wednesday 8 May 2013

Supplement hymns - what joy

from Joyce Voysey

I’ve come to Hymn 401 Thou whose almighty Word, the first one in the Supplement at the end of the Hymnal.  A little explanation: This first hymn in the Supplement “offers an example of tunes repeated from the main body of the book, usually in a simpler form.  Other hymns and tunes were chosen, or were restored from the 1910 edition, too late to have their alphabetical place in the book.”

There is a long note about Hymn 412, O Dreamer.  One man said of the air that it is “one of the most perfect in existence.” The notes go into much detail about the music, even pointing out how we need a high note every now then in order to “soar.” Perhaps I have said before that one could have this hymn as part of about every Christian Science service.  Wonderful words by Rosa M. Turner, a Christian Scientist.

Let us sing of Easter gladness.  What joy!  I like the sentiment that the words by Frances Thompson Hell, a Christian Scientist ,“show that no limited Easter celebration belongs to the Christian Science churches, because the Resurrection may be discerned, and sung, on any and every day.”  I must be a bit dull, for I have never thought of having the song on any day other than Easter Sunday.  But then, I find that it is really appreciated on that day as a special part of the joy of that Resurrection Day.

Having attended the Methodist Sunday School as a young child, I appreciate the Moody and Sankey hymns.  I love to tell the story is one of them.  It must have been in a song book published by them.  The words are by Kate Hankey, and were appreciated, even quoted, by Mrs. Eddy.  See The First Church of Christ, Scientist, and Miscellany p. 15.

Hymnal Note for Hymn 422 Grace for today, has some beautiful comments about Beethoven.  I specially appreciate at this time his comment about his deafness (stricken at about 30 years) “…it shall not drag me down.”

Wonderful words to Hymn 423 – see Hymn 69 Give me, O Lord, an understanding heart.

And so I close the Hymnal and Hymnal Notes for this time.  What a great time I have had!
How I am being blessed by the Redcliffe Reading Room Book Club!

No comments:

Popular Posts