Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 June 2013

A different perspective on knowledge

by Joyce Voysey

Turning again to page 41 of our book: “The education I had received in secondary school taught me to believe that a parasite is responsible for the (malarial) fever, and that if the disease is not arrested through the use of drugs, death may result.  But through the understanding I gained from my study (of Christian Science), I realised that such knowledge is the ‘forbidden fruit’ spoken of in Genesis, which God warns man neither to eat nor touch, lest he die (3:3).  It is a knowledge that leads to bondage and destruction.”

I have read many insights which use similar reasoning, but this one really hit the mark for me.  I am reminded of the time my husband and I had a macadamia farm.  I loved to climb the trees to pick those nuts which had not dropped naturally.  I would think I had picked the whole tree, but by just shifting my line of sight a little, I often discovered many more nuts.  It was a good lesson on getting a different perspective.

Pondering questions of material predictions, diagnoses, and opinions, I found these telling facts in Science & Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy:

·       “Since God, divine Mind, governs all, not partially but supremely, predicting disease does not dignify therapeutics.” (p.149: 26-27)

·        “A physical diagnosis of disease – since mortal mind must be the cause of disease – tends to induce disease.” (p.370:20)

·        “KNOWLEDGE.  Evidence obtained from the five corporeal senses; mortality; beliefs and opinions; human theories, doctrines, hypotheses; that which is not divine and is the origin of sin, sickness, and death; the opposite of spiritual Truth and understanding.” (p.590:4)

There we have it really, don’t we?  I can see evidence of this in the very first testimony where a physical diagnosis (knowledge) was turned on its head when the testifier read S&H “constantly.  I couldn’t put it down.”

Well, if I don’t get any further inspiration from reading this book, I can right now express my gratitude for a modest insight into the Glossary definition of Knowledge.  I can’t find words to express it just now, but I will endeavour to read the testimonies in the book with that definition in mind.


No comments:

Popular Posts