Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 April 2014

Moving On

It seems that the Galatians ran into doctrinal trouble between and after Paul’s visits.  Contention on how Jews could be practising Christians and how Gentiles could become Christians directly without first becoming Jews, brought disagreement about circumcision. 

On thinking about circumcision, I realised that it only applied to the males.  And yet, I understand that it through the female line that the Jewish faith is passed down.  Interesting!

I am wondering if some people who come into Christian Science from other religions or beliefs find it difficult to let go of the old practices.  And I am reminded that Mrs. Eddy’s first student, Hiram Crafts, who practiced Christian Science under her guidance, could not let go of the belief that he had to put his physical hands on his patients to manipulate them.

The Pioneer alone: a mission revealed 1866-1868 РYvonne Cach̩ Fettweis and Robert Townsend Warneck РApril 1995 Christian Science Journal tells us:

In the spring of 1867, the Crafts and Mrs. Patterson moved to Taunton. There, Hiram advertised his services as a healer. In later years, he wrote of Mrs. Eddy's teaching:

Mrs. Eddy never instructed me to rub the head, or body, or manipulate in any forme. But when I was a Spiritualist, I used to use water and rub the head, limbs and body. So, sometimes when I was studying with her I would try it, but I did not say anything to her about it. . . .

We used nothing outside of the New Testament, she had no manuscripts of any kind until after I had been studying six months.

While Hiram eventually gave up his belief in spiritualism, his wife could not. Mrs. Crafts came to resent her husband's teacher, and Mary saw the wisdom of moving on.
Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts