Total Pageviews

Sunday 16 October 2016

An exchange with the Monitor

The first thing I notice is that Canham uses “we” rather than “I” as he starts his Introduction. I am also reminded of something shared at a meeting of students of Christian Science, “Christian Science is the only organization in our community standing for the unreality of evil.” Surely a similar statement could made about The Christian Science Monitor – It is the only news publication standing for the unreality of evil.
Well, I wrote an email to John Yemma, Monitor Editor 2008-2014, and current columnist, and here is the exchange of notes.
Hello John Yemma,
I am currently re-reading Commitment to Freedom.  This is an exercise set by the Christian Science Reading Room at Redcliffe, Queensland.  I read the books which alternate monthly between books of the Bible and Christian Science literature, and write a little for the related blog.

As I read Canham's book, I remembered a speaker telling our church members that our Christian Science church is the only one in our community standing for the unreality of evil.

It came to me yesterday that perhaps we could say of the CS Monitor that it is the only newspaper standing for the unreality of evil.  

Would you say that this is correct reasoning?  

As I read the Daily Briefings I sometimes question it.

I would appreciate your comments,

With very best wishes and blessings and gratitude for all your good work,
Joyce Voysey
Member of 1st Church, Gold Coast, Queensland.


Dear Joyce: 
Thank you for your thoughtful note.

Others might differ with this view, but I've always seen the Monitor's mission as both reporting the problems of humanity (exposing error in order to vanquish it) and the progress of humanity (recognizing the leaven of the Christ that is always at work in human consciousness). It is not making a reality of evil to name it without flinching. It is giving Christian Scientists a clear sense of the issues humanity is grappling with so that we can work individually and collectively to heal them.

All the best,
John

What a wonder to have such a prompt reply. A fine example of "do it now," I reckon.
John Hughes, Pulitzer Prize reporter and one time Editor of the Monitor, in an article The Christian Science Monitor: Its Role and Purpose, wrote in the September 1, 1975 issue of The Christian Science Sentinel (http://journal.christianscience.com/issues/1975/9/93-9/the-christian-science-monitor-its-role-and-purpose):
The Monitor is not a great newspaper that happens to be an appendage of the Church of Christ, Scientist.
The Monitor is an expression of this church that happens to be in the form of a daily newspaper.
The history of the setting up of The Christian Science Monitor in 1908 was surely one of the greatest demonstrations of Christian Science in annuls of Christian Science. The Board of Directors and the Board of Trustees of the Publishing Society were tasked by Mrs. Eddy to produce a daily newspaper. Here is her letter to the Board of Trustees:
Beloved Students:
It is my request that you start a daily newspaper at once, and call it the Christian Science Monitor. Let there be no delay. The Cause demands that it be issued now.
You may consult with the Board of Directors, I have notified them of my intentions.
Mary B.G. Eddy
What practical, praying men were put in charge of this fantastic enterprise which was designed to “bless all mankind”. Everyone should read about how this was accomplished. The statistics are staggering. It was done in 100 days. From nothing really, to a fully-fledged newspaper of international standard, and soon to be reputation.

Joyce Voysey

1 comment:

Marie Fox said...

Thank you for this. I enjoyed seeing John Yemma'a reply - especially as I've written in the past, and received no response. I like his statement "name evil without flinching" . Good stuff! Marie Fox

Popular Posts