Total Pageviews

Saturday 24 June 2017

The bow in the cloud

The “bow in the cloud” (Gen 9:12-17) -- symbol of God's covenant with Noah -- reminds me that Mary Baker Eddy is recorded as having remarked that she saw God's face in the sky. 

The following is an extract from Mary Baker Eddy: Christian Healer by Yvonne Caché von Fettweis and Robert Townsend Warneck:

Storm dispelled (1907)
On several occasions I saw Mrs. Eddy dispel a storm; the first time was on August 3, 1907, in the late afternoon. The sky was overcast and it was very dark. Mrs. Eddy sat in her chair in the tower corner of her study, watching the clouds with a smile and a rapt expression on her face. She seemed to be seeing beyond the storm, and her present surroundings, and I do not think that she was conscious of my presence. In a few moments the clouds broke and flecked, and the storm was dissolved into its native nothingness. About half an hour later I took her supper tray to her, and she said to me, Ada, did you see the sky?” I replied,”Yes, Mrs. Eddy.” Then she said, “It (meaning the cloud) never was; God's face was never clouded.” This agrees with what another student has recorded as hiving been said by Mrs. Eddy, namely, “When I wanted to dispel a storm, I did not say, 'there is no thunder, and no lightning,' but I said, 'God's face is there, and I do see it.'” (Adelaide Still reminiscences)

How precious is the sky! It gives us a great idea of heaven, it gives us sunlight, it gives us rain, it gives us beauty, it gives us a tiny idea of the Infinite.

When I first attempted to read the Bible through from the beginning, I remember remarking to myself how important it seemed who one chose to marry. I am perhaps still coming to grips with that concept many years later.

In an earlier post, we spoke of Seth being a “goodie.” Now we find that Abraham is a descendant of Seth. The family was in Ur of the Chaldees, on the Euphrates River, down towards its mouth. Terah, Abraham's father, decides to migrate to Haran. God tells Abraham to move to Canaan to receive his blessing. This migration is very interesting to follow on a map. My NKJV has a very fine one.

Abraham was a listener to God. This reminds me of the story of a little girl in a Christian Science Sunday School, from the May 1966 issue of The Christian Science Journal:

IN A CHRISTIAN SCIENCE SUNDAY SCHOOL

Mark 5:41, 42
By Helen R. Quitzow
From the May 1966 issue of The Christian Science Journal


After her first visit to the Sunday School,
A tiny child said,
"I sat still for a very long time."
That was all.
After a second visit, she said,
"I listened."
And that too was all.
Jesus said to the damsel he called not dead but sleeping:
"Talitha cumi; . . . Damsel, I say unto thee, arise."
"And straightway the damsel arose."
The child in the Sunday School said,
"She must have been listening!"

________________________________
Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts