Total Pageviews

Saturday 1 July 2017

Genesis: "Here am I" - and a lovely benediction

In my dash through the rest of Genesis last night, I came across another, “Here I am.” It is Jacob answering God in Gen. 46:2.

I found it of interest that Jacob and Laban parted on a sort of truce. And then there is Esau – what a change came over him. Don't you just love the reconciliation of he and Jacob: “Esau ran to meet him and embraced him and fell on his neck and kissed him and they wept” (Gen. 33:4).

Jacob's sons play a large part in his life. What a drama it was to produce them! We are given Jacob's character valuation in chapter 49, and in Science and Health Mrs. Eddy gives spiritual definitions of many of their names. “Dan” is the one I find most instructive. In Genesis he is characterised thus: “Dan shall be a serpent by the way, a viper by the path that bites the horse's heels so that its rider shall fall backward” (49:17). And in Science and Health: “ Dan (Jacob's son). Animal magnetism; so-called mortal mind controlling mortal mind; error, working out the designs of error; one belief preying upon another.”

How instructive is the image of the apportioning of blame – it all goes back to the serpent, but neither the horse nor the man is at fault.

On my scanning way, it was so good to read Gen. 31:49: “May the Lord watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another.” (NKJV has “you and me” but I prefer the KJV as written here.)


So long for now, Genesis.

Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts