Total Pageviews

Saturday 17 June 2023

"You are never alone."

Reading in this month's book, Historical Sketches by Judge Clifford P. Smith, I was touched by the story of a Mr. Joseph H. Leishman, chief of a construction firm, and his encounter with Mrs. Eddy in 1892.

 The question was whether it would be more prudent to retain or remove the old buildings on the site of what is now The Mother Church. 

Mr. Leishman was "loath to keep the engagement, because he was exceedingly busy and because he did not expect from it anything practical or worth-while" (p. 91). Leishman later recalled that "Mrs. Eddy was rather dainty in appearance, was of medium height, and was straight as an arrow. Her big eyes penetrated one deeply as he looked into them. I had imagined that I would meet a woman whose years lay heavily upon her. Instead, I met one with the sweetness, spirit, and complexion of a child. ... her face radiated happiness and love. ...her explanations were as clear and distinct as they possibly could be. ..."

"She asked me to consider most thoroughly the matter before us, and to make a concise and exhaustive report, as she wanted the information to be useful for the future as well as for the present. She also asked me when she might expect the report. I said that my office force was occupied with other matters, and that I was all alone. Quick as a flash her answer came, an answer that has been ever with me throughout the years and has done much to shape my course: 'Mr. Leishman, you are never alone!' So affected was I by her words that I could not at once reply" (p. 92)

What was going on here? Was it the keenness of Mind, the adaptability of Soul, the warmth of Love, the communication of Truth? God expressed exquisitely.

"Later, Mr. Leishman became a Christian Scientist" (ibid).

Julie Swannell


No comments:

Popular Posts