Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 July 2012

STOP PRESS - CYRUS CYLINDER

We thought this comment was so important that we'd post it separately.  Please do take a look at the TED Video on Iran, Cyrus Cylinder and freeing of the Jews by Neil MacGregor, sent to us by a visitor from Louisiana, Colleen Moore.

This is what Colleen has written: 

Have you seen this great TED video on the Cyrus Cylinder at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ayZoqmBHE 


I became aware of this story from a Mother Church Reading Room workshop, and I was glad to learn about how mulitcultural this Persian King was who freed the Jews at the end of the Babylonian captivity. Cyrus is the subject of Isaiah 45 and was blessed by God although as a Persian, Cyrus did not acknowledge the Hebrew God. As the Mother Church Librarian pointed out, this Cyrus Cylinder explains Isaiah 45: “I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me.”

Thank you Colleen!



Ed. Here are some photos of the Cyrus Cylinder -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love what Neil Mac-Gregor tells us in his talk, especially about the model of a multi-cultural, multi-faith community so long ago. What had seemed so ancient and perhaps irrelevant in many ways, has suddenly come alive.

Joyce Voysey said...

Dear Editor,
I am not sure if this is the right way to state my appreciation of Colleen Moore's guidance to finding Neil MacGregor's wonder video about the Cyrus Cylinder. Thank you to Colleen.
What a fine communicator Neil is.
Joyce Voysey

Popular Posts