Total Pageviews

Saturday 30 March 2013

Lessons and speaking clearly


In our book, We Knew Mary Baker Eddy, I love Annie Knott’s account of Mrs. Eddy’s separating the sheep from the goats – in regard to Miscellaneous Writings and the stopping of Class Instruction for one year - see pp 184/5.  I must remember where this is for future reference, for I am sure I will want to look it up again.

The lessons we learn from what these dear people have written!  For example, Alfred Farlow says about working for and with Mrs. Eddy: “Her strict rules compelled her assistants to instantly heal themselves of any lack of ability or go home and work it out there” (p. 207) and “…our experience with the Leader of the Christian Science movement demonstrated the fact that one can approximate perfection far beyond the ordinary belief as to human possibility if he realizes the importance of it and makes the necessary effort” (p. 209).

So, it is Sue Harper Mims who recorded what Mrs. Eddy said about speaking distinctly: “Now I want you to speak distinctly.  When you speak distinctly, it shows your mental quality.  Speak as if you had something that you wanted the world to hear.  Speak loud and strong and distinctly” (p. 301).   The “loud” surprises me a little.

Emma C. Shipman also records: Two of the class have answered questions in tones that are inaudible.  Our teacher says, as I recall: “Speak up!  When you speak so you cannot be heard, you virtually say, ‘I have nothing worthy of saying.’”

Joyce Voysey

1 comment:

Karen Bartley said...

I love that Mrs Eddy said to speak as if you have something you wanted the world to hear. Thank you for sharing that.

Popular Posts