Total Pageviews

Tuesday 5 August 2014

Kimberley reading - Henrietta Buckmeister on Paul

Well, you have probably been wondering what has happened to our blog!  Your editor has been sailing in the wild Kimberley area of the north of Western Australia for the past two months and there is NO INTERNET on this part of the earth's surface.  Amazing huh!

But that hasn't stopped us from reading and in fact after I finished Robert Peels' Mary Baker Eddy - Years of Discovery, I had the opportunity to read two book about Paul by Henrietta Buckmaster.

Paul - A Man who changed the world was copyright 1965.  You may find it through a public library.

And Walk in Love was copyright 1956.  I got a second hand copy through Amazon I think. This is a fascinating novel, though I found it quite difficult to read every word as I found I wanted to forge ahead quickly.  The author writes: My chief desire has been to revisualize in some measure the simple and overwhelming facts of early Christianity, and try to place them against their natural background.  The world on which Christianity dawned was a violent, sensual and enslaved world, and the Christians had to array their profound verities against these honored evils. Moreover, I wished to evaluate these early Christian days, free of theological reasonings, disputation of sects and the deposit of nearly two thousand years.  A novel allows this liberty.

Paul is one of the greatest lessons Christianity has to offer, and the depth and magnitude of that lesson has yet to be fully learned.  He has suffered many things.  He has been used to consolidate dogmatic thinking.  He has been railed against as a hater of women and of marriage.  ... Latter-day scholars now generally agree, however, that the strictures against women, for example, were not written by Paul, for in Paul's church women preached and held office.


I thoroughly recommend this book.  I will return to it in the future I'm sure.  In fact, I may have to read more of Buckmaster's works.  There are novels, history, biography and children's books.

What are you reading?  Please write in and tell us soon as we will be returning to Darwin over coming weeks (leaving on Friday morning) and we will again be out of internet range.

No comments:

Popular Posts