Total Pageviews

Tuesday 23 January 2018

Thorough knowledge of the Bible

Book for January 2018: Severin E. Simonsen's From the Methodist Pulpit into Christian Science and How I Demonstrated the Abundance of Substance and Supply.

I finished the book, rejoicing in the reminder that the prayers of many of the Psalms, and especially the Twenty-third and the Ninety-First, are songs of affirmation, not of pleading.  I think of all the dear ones (thousands, even millions?) who have turned to those last mentioned Psalms in times of stress, and found comfort, and guidance.  And yet, the general manner of prayer over the centuries seems to have been that of pleading with God.  As the Reverend Simonsen points out on page 287, students of Christian Science find that “...the mode of righteous prayer is not grasped all at once; but as they progress in their understanding of Christian Science, and continue to study the Scriptures in their true light, they soon find their own prayers taking form in like manner, and with as satisfying as assurance, as David's prayers of affirmation.”

Mr. Simonsen makes no statement which doesn't have its basis in the truth in some Bible passage, and he illustrates how he has demonstrated its absolute usefulness in his own experience.  The overwhelming impression left by the book is of his thorough knowledge of the Bible and his absolute trust in God's universal and infinite power.  And his gratitude for the life and work of Mary Baker Eddy who gave us the Key to the Scriptures in her great work Science and Health.  Through Mrs. Eddy's teaching he came to know the true nature of substance.  Just a few words there -- the true nature of substance -- but that is what the book is all about.

I did find the author's explanation of “How I Demonstrated the Abundance of Substance and Supply” went on longer than I thought to be necessary.  However, I can see that perhaps he is addressing all the different states of consciousness and beliefs of his hearers; one thought may be satisfied with one explanation and another with a different one.

For me, Mr. Simonsen epitomises the sentiment of hymn 291 from the Christian Science Hymnal:

Quiet, Lord, my froward heart,
   Make me gentle, pure, and mild,
Upright, simple, free from art;
   Make me as a little child,
From distrust and envy free,
Pleased with all that pleaseth Thee.

What Thou shalt today provide
   Let me as a child receive,
What tomorrow may betide
   Calmly to Thy wisdom leave;
'Tis enough that Thou wilt care,
Why should I the burden bear?

As a little child relies
   On a care beyond its own,
Being neither strong nor wise,
   Will not take a step alone,
Let me thus with Thee abide,

As my Father, Friend, and Guide.

Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts