Total Pageviews

Wednesday 5 September 2018

Hosea broadens the OT concept of God


Well Hosea was puzzling me. But I looked him up in Dummelow's Commentary of the Bible, and I am satisfied for the moment.

He tells me that Hosea and Amos mark the beginning of literary, as distinct from purely oral, prophecy. The message was first orally delivered and then written down. No doubt there was more than one sitting to the delivery of the message.

Dummelow also gives an overview of the historical situation at the time. Scanning what he has written, one finds these words: death, anarchy, terror, captivity, assassination, slain, weakness of king, murdered, seized the throne, ravaging, conspiracy, invaded. Anything but a reign of peace with so many seeking to rule. Not exactly the peaceful time of Isaac we are reading about in this week's Christian Science Lesson-Sermon!

Hosea used his own life experience to point out the errors of the Israelites' ways. And “tenderness” stands out as a dominant quality in the man's approach both to his wife's harlot-type ways and those of the Israelites.

About that tenderness, Dummelow says, “Those who imagine that the God of the Old Testament is only a God of justice and wrath might well study this book attentively.” Isn't that great?

He also says that St Paul explains some of Hosea's prophecies as fulfilled in the Christian church. So I must look up those references:

Rom 9:25, 26 “As he saith also in O'see, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.”

And I Cor 15:55: “O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?” Paul relates to Hosea 13:14 (in part): O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction.”

Did anyone listen and heed Hosea's message?

Joyce Voysey


No comments:

Popular Posts