Total Pageviews

Thursday 13 September 2018

Ishi and harmonious relationships

It was lovely to read Hosea chapters two and three today and let them wash over me, especially chapter 2 verses 16 and 19.

Verse 16 says this:

And it shall be at that day, saith the Lord, that thou shalt call me Ishi; and shalt call me no more Baali.

Verse 19 and 20 say:

and I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies. I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness...

A little research informs us that Ishi means "my husband" while Baali refers to "my Lord,  master, or owner". I think we'd all opt for the first choice! Besides, the name Ishi is rather appealing, don't you think?

Harriet Patchin Botham mentions these names in a remarkably contemporary article entitled "A Purer, Higher Affection and Ideal" in the June 1954 edition of The Christian Science Journal. She writes: "Ishi is symbolic in a higher sense and more nearly approaches a spiritual significance. Christian Science teaches that God is husband to His entire creation."

In referring to the chapter Marriage in Mary Baker Eddy's book Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Ms Botham states: "This chapter points out the rules for all harmonious human companionship and relationships."

I love that the Bible has enduring relevance to every age. The assurance that God is a loving God, indeed, divine Love itself - faithful, loving, merciful - is a continuing comfort, a constant and reliable companion.  

Julie Swannell


No comments:

Popular Posts