Total Pageviews

Wednesday 27 February 2019

Well-qualified musicians


The new (2017) Christian Science Hymnal represents years of prayerful gathering, editing, refining, and polishing by a team of well-qualified musicians, many of whom are Christian Science practitioners and even teachers. We can be assured that there is healing in every line and note of every hymn.

It has been very illuminating to attend, via the internet, some of the hymn sings that occurred as part of recent Annual Meetings of The Mother Church, and to hear Ryan Vigil explain the particular beauty of individual hymns. 

I particularly remember him talking about the beautiful way hymn 527 "Lord,...Open His Eyes" begins with a sustained note, so that it establishes that sense of prayerful stillness before the prayer is offered. For me, this makes this hymn so tender and heartfelt. 

Then I also love Ryan’s and Christa Seid-Graham’s performance on the CD "Celebration" of hymn 472 “Father, you are very near us”. Their interpretation, in a soft jazz style, soars with sincerity and inspiration. I appreciate Josh Kenworthy’s work on drums on this track too. How lovely that an Australian was involved!

Another special one: It is a delight to sing Lisa Redfern’s setting of "O Gentle Presence" (hymn 539), which I am sure will become a new favourite melody for many.

For some, the music is the principal healing element; for others, it is the words.

Marie Fox

3 comments:

Joyce Voysey said...

Marie's blog gave me such a thrill. Thank you, Marie, for another musician's understanding touch.
This has been a great month for the Redcliffe Reading Room blog.
I am wondering if the editor might make a compilation of the blogs to send as a contribution to the Christian Science Sentinel or Journal.
I would love that.
Joyce Voysey

Joyce Voysey said...

I was thrilled to read Marie's piece for the blog on the new Christian Science Hymnal. Lovely to have a musician's "take."
I tried to comment of one of Julie's pieces too, but it didn't work for me. Wonder if this will work?
What would the editor think of getting up a contribution to the Christian Science Sentinel or Journal of a sort of compilation of the blog entires on this precious book?

Joyce Voysey said...

It was delightful to read of Julie and Marie's joy in the music and words of particular hymns. The musician touch thrilled me.

My wonder is if it would be possible to put together a contribution to the Christian Science Sentinel or Journal from the blog posts on this topic - our wonderful new hymnal.

Popular Posts