Total Pageviews

Thursday 21 May 2015

Enlisted men and women


I did mention the book The Story of Christian Science Wartime Activities 1939-1946, didn’t I? 

It is so good, and I can see how it has leavened my thought for many years.  My copy of the book came from the Midland (Western Australia) Christian Science Society.

This time I am taken with a piece on page 193.  The chapter is about Wartime Workers and the fine work they did.  And the quote:

“…another comment from an active Worker who, in this particular instance, was addressing a young soldier whom he had brought through a serious injury and a period of discouragement: “Joe,’ he remarked to the young man, “you and I as Christian Scientists have ‘enlisted to lessen evil, disease, and death,’ as Mrs. Eddy tells us in Science and Health (p. 450).  We are fighting the greatest battle that will ever be fought by anyone.  It is battle with self, with a false sense of man, a false sense of God, a false sense of Life.  We cannot retreat; we cannot go AWOL; we cannot compromise.  We must demand an unconditional surrender of these false beliefs.  Everybody must fight this battle sooner or later, here or hereafter.”

Now back to I Corinthians.
 
 
Almost always when I read a chapter, some one idea stands out to me and sends me on a chase for more information.  With chapter 5 it is “a little leaven leavens the whole lump.”  (verse 6)  What struck me is that the chapter is addressing the fornication of one man with his step-mother.  And I had had the idea that the leaven of this quote was a good thing.  Here it seems to be saying that the sin of one man can permeate the whole Christian group.
It is very noticeable that there is with any good idea, often a bad use for it.  For example: the Internet, such a useful wonder, can be used for evil means.  We have to get the absolute, spiritual sense of things. 
Anyway, I looked up leaven on the Internet and found a very interesting piece about Jesus parable about the woman and the leaven -
Practically every word is examined.  I would love to hear what folk think about the article on bibletools.

Joyce Voysey

1 comment:

Julie said...

I have read the article by Richard T. Ritenbaugh mentioned above and found it fascinating. Mr Ritenbaugh has been very thorough in his research, uses wonderful questions (e.g. "What is 'a woman' in Scripture?" and "What was 'three measures of meal?") to which he carefully responds. I was a bit cross with him when he surmised that the woman must be bad because she had hidden (concealed, kept secret) the yeast (which he says she may have seized) in the grain! Why didn't he give us a few other probabilities? It seems to me that it's often wisdom to keep secret (safe)a new and maybe significant idea when it's just hatching.

Popular Posts