Total Pageviews

Monday 18 May 2015

Overcoming


Oh Boy!  Am I lagging behind this month!

Thank you Julie for those quotes from Mrs. Eddy.  A statement that stood out to me was about going to hospitals to cure moral maladies!  How that idea opens avenues of thought to the student of Christian Science.

On reading chapter 2 of I Corinthians I wrote: “Oh!  What we can accomplish when we realise we have the mind of Christ!  Exactly like Paul, we can overcome ‘weakness, and fear and much trembling.’”  It is not easy for us to think of Paul as less than strong in the Lord.  But it is through overcoming such weakness that he became strong - as can we. 

That word “overcoming” set a note in my thought about the book The Story of Christian Science Wartime Activities 1939-1946.  An inspiring record.  “Overcoming in the Pacific and Asia” is the name of a chapter in the book, but, it seems to me that the whole book is about overcoming.

Come to think of it, I will list the chapter titles here –

1.  Preparations of the Heart

2. Forerunners of Organized Wartime Activities

3. The Christian Science War Relief Committee

4. American Sewing Groups and Shipping Depots

5. British Almoners and Clothing Distribution

6. Chusetts: Comfort on Wheels

7. War Relief Committees: Canada and Overseas

8. The Christian Science Camp Welfare Activities

9. British Shepherds of the Flock

10. United States and Other Wartime Ministers

11. Christian Science Army and Navy Chaplains

12. Volunteer Wartime Workers

13. The Mother-Comforter: Special Cases

14. Service Centers: Home Follows the Uniforms

15. Europe: Not since the Catacombs

16. “Where two or three are gathered together”

17. Overcoming in the Pacific and Asia

18. Keeping Church Alive in Prison Camps

19. Literature with a Mission Goes Through

20. Fulfillment: Postwar Relief Activities

24. Signs Following

25. Growth in Stature

Now I will have to read some of it again.  Of particular interest to me is the chapter about prison camps, one of my brothers having been a prisoner of the Japanese in Burma.  And there is John Wyndham’s wonderful book, The Ultimate Freedom, which is an account of his imprisonment in Indonesia and his wonderful overcoming.  Always a joy to re-read.

Haven’t got very far with I Corinthians, have I?

Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts