Total Pageviews

Saturday 30 May 2015

The Greatest Thing in the World

It's great fun and so beneficial to ask ourselves questions while we read a text. So, as we close our current book - Paul's letter to the church at Corinth in Greece (I Corinthians) - we might ask:

1. Why did Paul cover the topics he did? and 2. So what?

Today I've done a little background reading and found that Paul's letters didn't reach just his friends at Corinth, but very soon many other groups as well. I wonder if that sat well on Paul's shoulders, or if the message was then sometimes misconstrued? As we read, are we mindful of Paul's original intent?
We cannot superimpose today's life-style and customs on to Paul's words, which we offered to a specific readership so long ago.

As we leave this book, I am left with an over-arching message of great love. Of sincerity, kindness, generosity, even-temper, good manners. (Check out Henry Drummond's great sermon "The Greatest Thing in the World" for super inspiration.) How can we get along better? What does is mean to learn to love more? Paul's example was Christ Jesus. Our example is Christ Jesus. Jesus' resurrection was the pinnacle of pure love for his fellow man.

What does it take to love like that in my church community, my family, my workplace?

Julie Swannell

No comments:

Popular Posts