Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 July 2016

Refuge in times of opposition

I am finding that thoughts are often repeated and given voice in like words in many different Psalms. 

I will use “refuge” as an example -

Psalm 11 starts out with “In the Lord will I take refuge” (NKJV – King James has “In the Lord put I my trust".) In its highest sense, “Lord” is defined in the Glossary to Science and Health as “Supreme Ruler.” So we are to gain safety from a knowing that the Lord, the Supreme Ruler, is in charge of the situation, any situation.
Of course the word refuge reminds us  of the 91st Psalm with its more familiar, “I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress” (verse 2), and “Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most high thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come night thy dwelling” (verses 9 and 10). Its promise is of refuge and safety.

Psalm 46:1-3 has been called Luther's Psalm*: “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the selling thereof.”


*Various commentators remind us that Psalm 46 is called, “Luther’s Psalm.” In times of extreme opposition, Martin Luther would say to his friend, Philip Melanchthon**: “Come, Philip, let us sing the 46th Psalm.” Jennings Scripture Studies.

I find there are 15 mentions of “refuge” in the Psalms. And I am wondering if the 91st Psalm is a sort of compendium of many of the Psalm ideas. The thought came that it could be compared with the scientific statement of being in Science and Health (p. 468), which I like to think of as either a starting point or a precis of the truths in that masterful textbook of divine Science about being and its science.

Indeed, I do find that almost every verse of Ps. 91 has an echo elsewhere in the Psalms.
I am reminded of something that was pointed out to me recently: The wording of the Sixth Tenet in Science and Health (p. 497) aligns closely with directions and affirmations from the Scriptures – And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.”


** Philip Melancthon. See http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Philip_Melanchthon.aspx

Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts