Total Pageviews

Friday 12 December 2014

For the benefit of humanity

So - What Christmas means to me.  What a delightful choice for our December book!  I am pacing my reading – only up to page 6 as of to-day (12.12.14).

Even though one has read all of Mrs. Eddy’s writings many times, there can always be some truth that gets one’s attention on re-reading.  This time the specific truth has stayed with my consciousness as: “The Christ came for the benefit of humanity.”

Mrs. Eddy’s sentence is, “I celebrate Christmas with my soul, my spiritual sense, and so commemorate the entrance into human understanding of the Christ conceived of Spirit, of God and not of a woman – as the birth of Truth, the dawn of divine Love breaking upon the gloom of matter and evil with the glory of infinite being.” (My emphasis.)

I find the thought is rather like one in this week’s Lesson-Sermon on God the Preserver of Man: “But mortals did need this help.” 
 
The complete paragraph reads: "Is it not a species of infidelity to believe that so great a work as the Messiah’s was done for himself or for God, who needed no help from Jesus example to preserve the eternal harmony?  But mortals did need this help" page 494, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy.

And as I think about the influence of Christmas in our world, I think of those who do not profess to any Christian sentiment and who still spread the message of love through gifts at Christmas.  There are even some of faiths other than Christianity who recognize the Christmas spirit.

There is a beautiful story about Christmas in John Wyndham’s little book The Ultimate Freedom.  John was a prisoner-of-war of the Japanese in Indonesia during World War II.  He practised his religion Christian Science to such a degree that he was able to gain a Christmas benefit for the prisoners.  I hope you can read this precious book.  It is available from Mountaintop Publishing.  Easily found on the internet.

Joyce Voysey

Editor: I am happy to share the powerful and moving story of John Wyndham's Christmas in the Indonesian prisoner of war camp via email or phone with anyone who would like to hear it.  Email us at csredcliffe@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Popular Posts