Total Pageviews

Thursday 9 August 2018

Peel - publishing in the 1970's


Well! I am back to Peel's Years of Authority!

I have mentioned the state of my Years of Authority before (November 2012) on this blog. It is falling apart, much notated and holds many extra reminders with the Index. Having myself written and provided an index to a small book, I am in awe of the scholarship that went into Robert Peel's trilogy of Mary Baker Eddy.

I particularly note that in his Preparatory Note, Peel thanks Allison W. Phinney for his vision, counsel and penetrating criticism of his work. It is not clear to me whether Phinney did this for the whole trilogy. The other volumes, The Years of Discovery and The Years of Trial have their own individual Preparatory Notes. Dear Allison Phinney is now a much valued member of The Christian Science Board of Directors. His service to the cause of Christian Science has been outstanding.

Peel also acknowledges the work of his secretary and assistant, Ethel G. Adelman. Having myself been a typist and secretary, I can appreciate (a little) some of her task over twenty years.

The book was published in 1977. Was Ethel using a normal typewriter with carbon copies? Probably not. The Selectric Composer typewriter was available in 1961. (On this machine, one could back-track in order to correct typing errors. We used one in our business in the 1970's.) 

The Internet tells me that the 1970's and early 1980's were a time of transition for typewriters and word processors. I am content that Ethel used at least an electric typewriter.
Although, hold on, twenty years till 1977? We go back to the 1950's! I find this an interesting aspect of the production of the book. Possibly also for our readers?

Perhaps Ethel Adelman proceeded from ordinary plodding typewriter to word processor or even computer.

Joyce Voysey

Ed. This reader finds this aspect most interesting indeed.  

No comments:

Popular Posts