Total Pageviews

Wednesday 28 December 2022

Changing rusted minds through music

 "Music has that ability to cut through our defenses and go straight to our hearts... It brings us to a place where we're reminded of our shared humanity." So comments Christiane Karam, a professor at Berklee College of Music in Boston, in an interview reported in The Christian Science Monitor (print version, p. 3 week of November 28, 2022; online version Oct. 18, 2022). 

The print editorial is headlined "Iran's anthem 'for changing rusted minds'". It reports on the widely popular song by Shervin Hajipour, "Baraye", a protest against the arrest and subsequent death of Iranian woman Mahsa Amini. The editorial describes the song as "captur[ing] pent-up longing, frustration, and sadness", ingredients that contribute to its becoming like an "anthem".

Hymns are not anthems but they too can be songs of protest - songs that protest God's goodness. This section from a testimony in Fruitage in Science and Health attests to the spiritual power inherent in a hymn:

I was awakened one night by the sound that seems to bring terror to every mother's heart, and found the little fellow sitting up in bed, gasping for breath. I got up, took him in my arms, and went into the next room. My first thought was, “O if only there was another Christian Scientist in town!” But there was not, and the work must be done and done quickly. I tried to treat him, but was so frightened I could not think; so I picked up Science and Health, which lay on the table beside me, and began reading aloud. I had read but a few lines when these words came to me as though a voice spoke, “The word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword.” Almost immediately after, the little one said, “Mamma, sing ‘Shepherd,' ” — our Leader's hymn, that both the big and the little children love. I began singing, and commencing with the second line, the little voice joined me. I shall never forget the feeling of joy and peace that came over me, when I realized how quickly God's word, through Science and Health and the beautiful hymn, had accomplished the healing work.
(Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Mary Baker Eddy, pp. 619:24–14)

What a joy to turn to our hymns for healing. And maybe make up our own songs of protest and praise. No rusted minds allowed.

Julie Swannell

Shepherd - see hymns 304-309 and 573-576.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that testimony well. It's beautiful.

Popular Posts