Total Pageviews

Sunday 7 April 2013

Breaking in to the book of Acts


Breaking into the book of The Acts of the Apostles (hereafter called Acts), I find that I must go back to my notes on the book Luke (The Gospel according to St. Luke). In Acts 1:4 we find that Jesus had told the disciples that they should not depart from Jerusalem.  I had done a lot of thinking about the idea of Jerusalem when studying Luke, and I reckoned that he was recording Jesus’ journey “up to Jerusalem.”  And I noted that Jerusalem is a state of consciousness as defined in the Glossary of Science & Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy: Home, heaven.  (It also defines what can be classified as the negative aspects of Jerusalem: Mortal belief and knowledge obtained from the five corporeal senses; the pride of power and the power of pride; sensuality, envy; oppression, tyranny.)

22nd October, 2012 I wrote: I find myself not interested so much in the healings and teachings recorded by Luke, wonderful as they are, as the thread I see in Luke’s Gospel of Jesus journey “to Jerusalem.” Luke knew the outcome of that journey, and was giving markers along the way of how it came about.  And I listed all the “Jerusalem” references in Luke, and Mary Baker Eddy’s writings.  Interesting to re-read all that.

Yes.  Acts is a sequel to the book of Luke, being written and compiled by that brilliant recorder.

My blog entry for 6th September, 2012 is of interest for my musings on Luke, e.g.         Like a good news correspondent, it seems that Luke interviewed everyone who had been eyewitnesses to the events of Jesus’ life.  How satisfying it must have been for him. 

It seems that Luke was already a follower of Christ when he met Paul, having come from Antioch in Syria.  And travel in those days was so slow there was plenty of time for Paul to impart his knowledge of events as they walked or sailed.  The writings tell us that he was not constantly with Paul on his travels around Greece, but he accompanied him to Rome, and supported him there in those days of peril.

Joyce Voysey
 

No comments:

Popular Posts