Total Pageviews

Friday 20 February 2015

Pure Mind


This morning I turned to page 9 – Peter Henniker-Heaton’s poem Pure Mind.  I had been thinking about the warnings about cyclones off the Queensland and Northern Territory coasts, so the word ‘atmosphere’ in the third verse took my attention.

I think we have noted before, in this blog, that Mary Baker Eddy was very aware of the connection of weather effects with mortal mind (see We Knew Mary Baker Eddy, Expanded Edition, Vol I, page 465, but in Volume II I have a note in the back that tells me this matter is also mentioned on pages 33, 11, 111, 114, 213, 113, 118, 284, 287, 395, 411/2.) 

I remembered an experience I had when we lived on a macadamia farm in Northern NSW.  A terrific storm struck during the night.  When I say terrific, I mean terrifying.  I lay in bed declaring that God is not in the wind or the fire.  Then I remembered that I had not finished the thought that had come to Elijah (see I Kings 19).  I had missed out what came after the fire – A still small voice.  When I acknowledged the still small voice I gained my peace and the raging ceased.

Some time later I was in a Christian Science Reading Room and came to an article which stated that electricity is power without intelligence.  I reasoned that when I had applied intelligence to the situation, it was resolved.  Mrs. Eddy has written about electricity on page 293 of Science and Health, “Electricity is the sharp surplus of materiality which counterfeits the true essence of spirituality or truth, -- the great difference being that electricity is not intelligent, while spiritual truth is Mind.”

So, thank you again, Peter Henniker-Heaton for your sharing in poetry. 
 
Joyce Voysey

PURE MIND


By Peter J. Henniker-Heaton

From the September 28, 1968 issue of the Christian Science Sentinel

God is pure Mind; He does not work through matter.
Mind needs no outside medium to express
its nature. All that Mind creates is wholly
of mental and spiritual substance, nothing less.
Man is pure Mind's idea. Not made from matter,
man needs no physical basis to sustain
his individual life. Mind's man and woman
pure thought in Mind eternally remain.


The pure ideas of Mind are not polluted,
infected, poisoned, pressured, fractured, strained
by matter. Their only atmosphere is boundless
intelligence, self-renewed and self-contained.
Pure Mind, controlling all in ordered action,
governs alike the atom and the star.
Wherever thought consents and hearts are willing,
its instant healings and adjustings are.


Mind has no place for matter in its eternal
purpose. But wholly spiritual, wholly good,
pure Mind's ideas, coperfect with their Maker,
unfold within pure Mind's infinitude.

 

1 comment:

Marie Fox said...



I find Peter Henniker-Heaton's poetry profound, deeply inspiring. His precision in the use of language allows the metaphysics to shine through with diamond-like clarity. Studying one of his poems feels to me like a complete mental clean and polish!

In response to the clamouring of the cyclone, I found the poem Pure Mind, by Peter Henniker -Heaton, to be particularly inspiring. I'll paraphrase the stand-out parts:

Pure Mind, controlling all in ordered action,
Governs alike the atom and the star.

And

The pure ideas of Mind are not...
......pressured.....
..by matter. Their only atmosphere is boundless
Intelligence, self-renewed and self-contained.

Pure Mind cannot be outlined as a storm cell or a weather event. Therefore these have no intelligence or action. But Pure Mind, pure intelligence, governing all, is self-renewing. What a restorative action for all those affected communities!

Popular Posts