Total Pageviews

Sunday 10 April 2016

Mind and brain and the concept of pantheism

I have been remiss.  I did not read everything on the first page of our book "Christian Science versus Pantheism"!  There it is, “Subject: Not Pantheism, but Christian Science.  I didn’t look up the word “Pantheism”!

So, I will see what Noah Webster had to say back in Mrs. Eddy’s day –
   Pantheism, n. (Gr. word for “all”, and the Gr. word for God, whence theism.)
   The doctrine that the universe is God, or the system of theology in which it is
   maintained that the universe is the supreme God.
   Pantheistical, confounding God with the universe.

Dictionary.com says -
   Pantheism, the doctrine that God is the transcendent reality of which the material
   universe and human beings are only manifestations.  It involves a denial of God’s
   personality and expresses a tendency to identify God and nature.

I am doing this the hard way – I turn to page two and find Mrs. Eddy has defined “Pantheism” very thoroughly.

On page 4 we read of Mind and brain.  I have had an interesting experience about brain.  One night in bed I had message come which began, “Take possession”.  As students of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy will naturally complete the sentence with, “of your body, and govern its feeling and action” (393:11-12). However, my message said, “Take possession of your brain”! And …"and govern its feeling and action.”

In future nighttime prayers I have come to realize that Mind governs brain and tells it what to think.  Brain can be talked to and told what to think – by divine Mind.  When we work this way we can see that usually it is mortal mind which is informing brain.


I have yet to accomplish the study (that I promised myself I would undertake) all that Science and Health has to tell us about brain.  

Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts