Total Pageviews

Tuesday 27 September 2016

Brothers and sisters supplying and supplied

Chapter 4. I wonder about Paul's addressing the “brethren” of Philippi. NRSV uses “brothers and sisters,” which seems reasonable when we learned that women, including Lydia, constituted at least some of the community. (See my first blog of Philippians.) We are so inclined to think of Paul writing only to men, when some of the women seem to have been so spiritually minded.

Well. We have some discord between two women for which Paul admonishes his readers/hearers to endeavour to bring about a reconciliation – to each other and to Christ. It seems that one of the women could be Lydia. Their names are Euodias and Syntyche. Paul asks them to “be of the same mind in the Lord..” What a good direction!

Verse 6 reminds me of my first efforts at praying. I had been introduced to God by a marvellous experience (related in my Christian Science Journal testimony of June 1973), and talked to Him each evening as I went to bed. I simply outlined something which needed correction. The next evening, that situation had been resolved and I said, “Thank you,” and put my next petition. It was pretty wonderful.

Very soon, God led me to Christian Science, and, as I look back, I recognise that our family was lifted out of an inadequate house (family of 6 in a 2 bedrooms and verandah) and a printing business “under the house”), to a house that fully met our needs and a factory where the printing business could prosper and grow. A nephew remarked that his family had believed we had “won the Casket,” there was such a change in our circumstances.

Probably the most used Benediction there is, is Phil. 4.7: “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” 

It is followed by that majestic verse 8: “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there by any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” What a recipe for good living, or living good!

Paul is grateful for the Philippians' care of him, even supplying his need in times of lack, which no other church had done. However, he knows that he can be content whether he is in lack or in abundance. And he promises that “My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus” (verse 19).


Interesting end note: It was written to the Philippians from Rome by Epaphroditus. 

Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts