Total Pageviews

Tuesday 16 February 2016

The remarkable Eastamans

Our book’s records of healings begins with Joseph Eastaman’s entry into the world of Christian Science. A remarkable story of a remarkable man; a story which very much includes his wife, Mary. Joe (I discovered in later articles in the Christian Science periodicals that he called himself Joe) was a sea captain who had faced many dangers on the seas. Mary was not expected to live long; the medical had given up.  He found himself visiting Mary Baker Eddy asking for help. Mrs. Eddy suggested that he join one of her classes and heal Mary himself. Thus started a beautiful adventure for this couple.

I wanted to read more about Joe and Mary, so looked them up on JSH-Online.com.

One of the first records I found was a letter from Mrs. Eddy in which she states that, although Mary and Joseph’s names were somehow not included in those recorded in the corner stone of the Original Mother Church, God had provided a special acknowledgment of their work: the $1,000.00 which they gave to the Building Fund was used for the platform and pulpit. Mrs. Eddy said in her letter that this was “a type of their solid standing in the platform of Christian Science.”  
(http://journal.christianscience.com/issues/1894/7/12-4/nota-bene - article Nota Bene: see The Christian Science Journal July 1894)

I found that Mary was Treasurer of the church in the years 1894/5/6 (at least); a children’s concert at the Easter Services of May 1888 was under the direction of Mary Eastaman; she was President of the committee of “Our Fair” (see January 1888 edition of The Christian Science Journal - http://journal.christianscience.com/issues/1888/1/5-10/our-fair)
which raised money for the Building Fund. Stephen A Chase was the treasurer of this fund.

Joseph was delighted that he could contribute to the Sentinel, the new weekly publication of Christian Science movement. He wrote from a different angle, addressing the publication itself. (See Christian Science Sentinel January 5, 1899 - http://sentinel.christianscience.com/issues/1899/1/1-19/our-weekly). I would love to quote all of it! Perhaps our editor will allow this gem: 
In my heart I welcomed you ten weeks ago, for I feel sure you are destined to do much good to the cause of Christian Science as well as to Christian Scientists everywhere, and though you are only a few weeks old, already the Field is anxiously looking for the little messenger that brings to all words of peace and guidance from our dear Mother and guide. 
Our Weekly Jan 5, 1899.

There is a series of articles, The Travail of my soul, in the Christian Science Journals of 1892. Here Eastaman records his hair-raising experiences at sea and in the sea.  What a dangerous occupation to be a sea captain in the 19th Century! The Captain tells us that he came through it all through his faith in God. In those days he would say, “God help me, God help me”. When he became better acquainted with God through the study of Christian Science, he would say, “God helps me.”

One thing he is quoted as declaring is, “Everybody loves me, and I love everybody, because God is Love and ‘God is all.’”

I love this excerpt about learning to swim – or being cured of it –
When I was less than seven years of age, I was, with other boys, learning to swim by holding to a line passed from a ship and fastened to the wharf; when about midway I lost my hold, and went down at more than three fathoms depth. My brother John, happening to pass by on the wharf just in time to see me lose my hold and go down, jumped into the water, rescued, took me to land, and gave me a good thrashing—which cured me of trying to learn to swim. Up to today, I n-ever have learned to swim, though spending many years on the ocean amid all the dangers of a seaman's life.                                 
The travail of my soul. Jan. 1892, The Christian Science Journal - http://journal.christianscience.com/issues/1892/1/9-10/the-travail-of-my-soul.

[In my delving I found that, in 1900, the Baltimore church, which seated 600, was too small and a new building was required.  250 children were enrolled in their Sunday School, and the average attendance was 200.  (Christian Science Sentinel, Feb. 15 1900 - http://sentinel.christianscience.com/issues/1900/2/2-24/among-the-churches]

Joseph’s name is immortalised in the Deed of Trust in Manual of the Mother Church. The book Pioneers in Christian Science (Longyear Foundation 1972) has photos of Mary and Joseph and brief biographies. He was a member of the Christian Science Board of Directors and one of twelve First Members involved in the formation of The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston in 1892.

Mary was present at the last session of Joseph’s class with Mrs. Eddy in December 1884; she had class herself in February 1885; was listed as a practitioner in December 1885; qualified as a teacher of Christian Science after the Normal Class of February 1887; was also one of the twelve involved in the formation of the church in 1892; taught in the Sunday School; was a member of the Bible Lesson Committee, and of course she was a successful teacher and practitioner.

Indeed, a life worth saving!

No comments:

Popular Posts