Total Pageviews

Monday 23 October 2017

The ideal church leader

In its Introduction to I Timothy, the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) says that these letters are valuable “because of their concern with leadership offices and pastoral oversight of the churches.”

So, I do well to take heed of the teaching of these little letters, which scholars seem to agree were probably not actually written by Paul. I note that I and II Timothy are banded together with Titus and called The Pastoral Letters. (Note for our editor: could we include Titus in this reading?)

Under a section called Language and Sources, NRSV promises that I Timothy contains lists of vices and virtues! Also, the church and the role of women seems to be prominent. It is noteworthy that since the coming of Christian Science, women have been winning more influence in some mainstream churches. What a role model women have in the life and work of Mary Baker Eddy - uncovering the Science of Christianity, founding a church, establishing a thought-influencing newspaper in The Christian Science Monitor.

I rejoice to read that Timothy was considered to be “the ideal church leader, whose sound doctrine and morals stand in sharp contrast to the corrupt lives and words of the false teachers.” So, I feel I can compare these letters with those written by Mary Baker Eddy to the loyal students who assisted her so nobly in the founding of the Christian Science movement.


I guess I need to know who the false teachers are and what they are teaching. I hope I am ready to learn from I and II Timothy.

Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts