Total Pageviews

Wednesday 25 October 2017

The 'woman' question

I Timothy

No wonder Paul has had a bad press regarding his teaching about woman's place.*

I find it hard to believe that Paul would teach this way. Referring to Adam and Eve (chapter 2) to back up the teaching considerably weakens the writing: there is nothing spiritual about this teaching; nothing to inspire. In contrast, one thinks of how Paul treats the couple Priscilla and Aquila: when introduces them as his loved helpers, he names Priscilla first (Rom. 16:3).**

My Harper Collins Bible Dictionary gives me a good interpretation of Eve (under the entry on Women in the New Testament, New Approaches):

It is clear…that at the creation, woman was not intended to be subordinate to man, for the Hebrew word ezer, normally translated “helper” (Gen. 2:18) is frequently used of God (e.g. Ps. 30:10; 54:4) and does not imply subordination. Eve is portrayed as the spokesperson for the couple, and during her talk with the serpent she presents theological arguments. She is never portrayed as wanton, or as tempting or tempted sexually, nor does the biblical author single her out for greater blame than her partner.

And doesn't the textbook of Christian Science (Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy) say of Eve that she was the first to acknowledge her fault? Hey! This is good stuff. (Isn't everything in Science and Health “good stuff”?):

Truth, cross-questioning man as to his knowledge of error, finds woman the first to confess her fault. She says,“The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat; as much as to say in meek penitence, “Neither man nor God shall father my fault.” She has already learned that corporeal sense is the serpent. Hence she is the first to abandon the belief in the material origin of man and to discern spiritual creation. This hereafter enabled woman to be the mother of Jesus and to behold at the sepulchre the risen Saviour, who was soon to manifest the deathless man of God's creating. This enabled woman to be first to interpret the Scriptures in their true sense, which reveals the spiritual origin of man.

Having to some extent come to terms with the “woman” question, I can now be grateful for the truly inspiring words in other parts of the letter.

Under the sub-heading “Gratitude for Mercy” in Chapter 1, one finds this:

I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he judged me faithful and appointed me to his service, even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners – of whom I am the foremost.
(I Tim 1:12-15 NRSV)

I will leave I Timothy here to get on with II Timothy.

Joyce Voysey


* Ed. It is my understanding that most Bible scholars today are disinclined to accept these letters as original Pauline writings.

** Ed. Romans 16:3 opens with a warm introduction to another woman, namely Phebe, who Paul refers to as "our sister".

No comments:

Popular Posts