Total Pageviews

Sunday 20 March 2022

Taking a stand

A soldier wrote:

           Upon my arrival in my final training camp I made inquiries as to whether there were any Scientists or no. I was told there were none. I made up my mind to take my stand, so at my first opportunity I had published a notice of Christian Science meetings in a YMCA hut. Can you imagine my feelings to have waiting for me Sunday morning at 10:15, thirty-two men who had come through a drenching rain to attend our little service? We have held our service every Sunday since then and the average attendance has far exceeded that of the first Sunday.

                      Christian Science Wartime Activities, pp. 125-6

From France:

          We have held services right along and the last one was in a dugout six feet long and four feet high. (ibid 126)

And this from Menton, France, at a YMCA “leave area”:

           Among the secretaries were four girls who were Christian Scientists and who met together whenever possible, reading the lesson and seeking spiritual guidance for their problems. Several other secretaries, seeing the way seeming difficulties were overcome by these girls, and remarking at the ability of those who were Scientists to stand up under work that to them was taxing and difficult, asked to know something of Christian Science… (ibid 129)

Bravo to those who took their stand. It’s a reminder of the opening line of that stirring hymn (Christian Science Hymnal 1932, Hymn 12/13 – words by Violet Hay:

 

Arise ye people, take your stand.

 

Julie Swannell


No comments:

Popular Posts