Total Pageviews

Monday 27 November 2023

"In notes almost divine"

After reading Joyce Voysey's interesting post yesterday, I re-read Mrs. Eddy's sermon Christian Healing and was very surprised to turn to the final page - page 20 - where it says that "The following hymn was sung at the close: -

Oh, could we speak the matchless worth,

Oh, could we sound the glories forth,

  Which in our Saviour shine,

We'd soar and touch the heavenly strings,

And vie with Gabriel, while he sings,

  In notes almost divine."

I had never paid any attention to this page in my previous readings of the sermon and I wondered about the tune.

We are so blessed to have the internet! There are several YouTube versions of the hymn, but this one by one-person quartet (G. Michael Eldridge sings all four parts) named Acapeldridge is my favourite. It makes me want to burst with joy.

The listener will note that the personal pronoun I is sung, while our words (above) use we. Much more inclusive methinks.

The tune - Ariel - is sometimes attributed to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791), but Lowell Mason (1792-1872) is also a contender, as is James Leach. 

The words are definitely by Samuel Medley (1738-1799)!

Happy listening and happy singing. And may your notes be "almost divine"!

Julie Swannell


No comments:

Popular Posts