Total Pageviews

Saturday 17 August 2013

Duty to lttle ones


As a great-grandparent 5 times over this year, making a total of 8, I ask myself: How can I better do my duty to the little ones?  And I find this instructive from page 135 of our book, We Knew Mary Baker Eddy Expanded Edition Vol. II:

“We must be resurrected from the dead – dead in trespasses and sins; the belief of life in the body, or matter, of life, substance, and intelligence in matter; the proclivities of the parents manifested through a belief in heredity, etc.  We must be resurrected from all this, for what does Paul say, “Except ye have part in the resurrection, my preaching is vain [see I Corinthians 15:12-14].”

It seems obvious that everything Mrs. Eddy explained to her students can be related directly back to the Scriptures or to Science and Health.  Of course, she illustrated this constantly by turning to one or both of the books to confirm her points.  Joseph Mann says this of Mrs. Eddy: Her “every breath overcame the human with the divine” p. 146.  What an example! 

I found a delightful poem on JSH Online when looking up “tears.” It gives us courage to keep aiming high. Here’s the link - http://sentinel.christianscience.com/issues/1981/3/83-10/the-high-goal

The High Goal

 

No fears,

No tears,

No years

Can fetter climbing feet

Man is God’s ever child –

Serene,

Secure,

Complete.

 

Lily Gray

Christian Science Sentinel 9 March 1981

 

This reminds me of the statement in Science & Health (p. 426:5-8),

“The discoverer of Christian Science finds the path less difficult when she has the high goal always before her thoughts, than when she counts her footsteps in endeavoring to reach it.”  

Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts