Total Pageviews

Sunday, 26 July 2026

Israel emerging in the Iron Age

 Continuing with The Bible Atlas: A pictorial guide to the Holy Lands

Pages 24-25: Israel and the Philistines

I am very impressed with the opening shortened history of the dealings of Israel and the Philistines. Very neat!

So the Philistines came from the Aegean Sea by ships as illustrated; surely a quicker way than the track taken by the Israelites in their 40-year wanderings, much of which was in desert.

No doubt each journey had its perils.

I have used that word “perils.” Not one I might use every day, I must say. It reminds me of Paul. He has given a list of perils in II Corinthians 11. Here he speaks at length of his experience in spreading the Word:

...in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.

Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one./Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.” (II Cor. 11:23-28)

 

Pages 26-27: David’s kingdom

Page 26 gives us the 23rd Psalm. It lacks the King James Version’s last two verses. Must look into that.

Ah! Maybe verses 1-3 are the “Shepherd” ones and that is what the heading promises: The Lord is my shepherd. Or was it perhaps that the space only allowed 3 verses?

By the way. AI goes on at length about the Psalm.

Page 27. So, I am grateful to read that David “lived at the beginning of the Iron Age (1000-500 BCE), so his metalworkers were able to make the latest iron weapons for his army. Absalom’s rebellion (drawing and text at the lower right-hand of the page) shows David’s men using weapons that would therefore have iron “business ends.” A gory story. It hadn’t ever impressed me enough to know what happened to Absalom.

Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts