Mary Baker Eddy included a whole chapter on the
subject of Marriage in her work Science and Health
with Key to the Scriptures. Here's one idea from that chapter: "Marriage should signify a
union of hearts."
The other day I read the most beautiful account of how
a husband prayed for his wife. The story is related by Fujiko Signs in her
article God
is our refuge (Christian Science Sentinel dated 25 October 2010).
The article has the by-line: A Christian Science practitioner shares
how her friend prayed when his wife was facing a serious operation.
Fujiko
writes: At times, a medical diagnosis may seem to have more power than anything
else. It can be overwhelming to the patient, family, friends, and perhaps even
the extended community he or she belongs to. But what if we look to and trust
the fact that we that we have a refuge that's reliable and safe, powerful and
trustworthy? In fact, God, being unconditional Love, cannot approve, create, or
support such labels as incurable disease.
The woman's
husband wrote: ... The doctor explained to my wife, her sister, and me that the
only treatment he could recommend was surgical removal. He said the operation
itself was very dangerous and difficult, but my wife expressed her desire to go
through with the operation at this early stage.
He
continued: I was confident that she would be healed through prayer, but I kept
thinking about how she might be risking her life by going through a very
dangerous operation. At this point, I remembered the story of the disciples
asking Jesus, "Who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born
blind?" Jesus answered that none of them had sinned--it was for the works
of God to be made manifest in the blind man (see John 9:1-3). This passage
suggests that it was God's work that healed the blind man. As my spiritual
reasoning deepened, I reached the understanding that God's presence and love
would be shown to us. With that, I could respect and agree with my wife's
courageous decision.
...I
continued to pray to know with certainty that my wife was made in the image and
likeness of God, and I knew that "man is incapable of sin, sickness, and
death" (Science and Health, p. 475).
During the operation, this man read the chapters
"Prayer" and "Footsteps of Truth" from Science and
Health, and afterwards, while still at the hospital, the chapter
"Science of Being".
The operation revealed no trace of disease.
Thinking about this lovely story this morning led me
to open Song of Solomon, where I found chapter 6 verse 3: "I am my beloved's, and my
beloved is mine".
We all belong to God.
Julie Swannell
No comments:
Post a Comment