Total Pageviews

Wednesday 24 October 2012

FINAL THOUGHTS ON JERUSALEM
Women followers:
Along the way, I particularly noticed the talk about the women who followed Jesus from Galilee to Jerusalem.  My Bible Dictionary defines Galilee as “circuit,” so I have thought of it as a symbol of eternity.  Did the women bring with them at least some understanding of eternity?  The women were there at the crucifixion and Mary Magdalene was the first at the tomb, and the first to recognise Jesus after his resurrection. 

It is interesting that Luke says, “And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about three-score furlongs” (24:13).  It reads as though it could have been two women who walked to Emmaus – they were not of the eleven disciples.  However, we are told that one of them was named Cleopas (24:18).   I have found that one of the Marys at the cross was “Mary the wife of Cleopas” (John 19:25).

How exciting is that! 
Perhaps the two could have been Cleopas and Mary!  Surely it was not always, “Men to the right, women to the left.”  Surely they got together occasionally.

Jesus’ temptations:
Luke 22:28: Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations. 
Dummelow's One Volume Bible Commentary has for temptations, “trials.”  How hard the way was for him!

Walking all the way:
Now, I have finally listened long enough to get the answer to my query: Where is the quote in We Knew Mary Baker Eddy about walking every step of the way to get there? 

The answer that came to me was: “Look up your notes in the back of the original four books of that series.”  There it is on page 16 of the Second Series: C. Lulu Blackman’s The Star in My Crown of Rejoicing –The Class of 1885.

         When we came close to the time of our parting, she exemplified mother-love to a marvellous degree.  She told us plainly of the serpent sense that ever pursues the spiritual idea.  There was admonition and warning and a great desire manifested to protect the Christ-idea from the destroying Herod thought.  She quoted these words from Matthew 10:16: “Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.”  I remember her statement, “There are no short cuts in Christian Science,” and she said, as I recall, “I have taken you up into the mount, I have showed you the promised land” – and then she added with finality, but also with infinite tenderness – “but you will have to walk every step of the way to get there.”

This sort of sums up for me our journey to Jerusalem.

Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts