Total Pageviews

Thursday 3 January 2013


New Assignment – Miscellaneous Writings 1883-1896
 
Thank you Julie, for the new assignment to read Miscellaneous Writings 1883-1896.  This is always a delight, with more inspiration coming with each reading.
 
I have started on that assignment, but I am also going to continue my delving into the Hymnal Notes.  So, this morning I have just read the note for Hymn 34.  It tells me facts about the composer, Mozart, my favourite composer.  We are told that Mary Baker Eddy was … “an understanding hearer of Mozart”.  What a delightful way to put it.
 
Last night at church a visitor mentioned the book Rolling away the Stone by Stephen Gottschalk.  I knew I had it so went on a hunt for my copy.  While searching, I came across Paths of Pioneer Christian Scientists.  On leafing through that book I came across this note which Abigail Dyer Thompson sent to Mrs Eddy about Miscellaneous Writings 1883-1896:  “The little book has come like a heavenly benediction, and each day as I read from its pages I offer up a prayer of thankfulness to God, for the blessings it is bringing to every earnest seeker for Truth, and for the faithful Mother-love which gave it birth.”
 
So, how many books does that add up to which are calling for my attention?
 
Joyce Voysey
 
 

1 comment:

Julie Swannell said...

I see in the Notes on hymn 93 that Amadeus (as in "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart") is the Latin version of the Biblical (Greek) "Theophilus", which means "loved of God". The whole note is lovely.

Popular Posts