Total Pageviews

Thursday 16 February 2023

Convinced?

I was on the hunt for information about Rev. James J. Rome, the author of the words to hymns 69 and 423, "Give me, O Lord, an understanding heart". I didn't find the particular note I was looking for*, but I did find that Peel mentions James Rome in his book Mary Baker Eddy: Years of Authority. 

This book is an important reference book for me.  I have written before of my copy's ragged state!

One page 304 of the book, Peel refers to an article about the theory of induction, written by Rome in The Christian Science Journal of July 1902. But Peel didn't quite agree with Rome's reasoning about why Christian Science is scientific.

Referring to current scientific philosophic thought in the first decade of the 20th century, Peel writes that "Mrs. Eddy, on the other hand, had no illusion, as some of the Journal writers obviously had, that the intellectual sophisticate would be argued into Christian Science.  His thought must become spiritualized before he can comprehend its most simple meaning" (ibid.)

Our present blog book, Spiritual Healing in a Scientific Age, is also written by Robert Peel.  It seems to me that he was on a mission, in much of his writing, to convince those intellectuals. 

*PS  I must hunt out my copy of The Building of The Mother Church for my Rome story.

Joyce Voysey

Ed. Mary Baker Eddy's own words are helpful: "The unbiased Christian thought is soonest touched by Truth, and convinced of it." (Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Mary Baker Eddy, p. x: 25-27)

No comments:

Popular Posts