Total Pageviews

Wednesday 8 February 2023

What's healing all about?

 

Spiritual Healing in a Scientific Age by Robert Peel

 Well, that is the name of the book chosen by the Editor/Librarian, but I got out Healing Spiritually (the sequel to A Century of Christian Science Healing (1966)) and browsed through that a bit. 

One thought really took my attention. Beginning on page 115 we find: “The boy said, “I want God.”” A three year old boy asked his mother to “Get the book” when he was in need of healing.

The book, of course, was Mary Baker Eddy's Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. The fever left. But it returned twice before the mother saw the unreality of the claim. She sums up the experience in the last paragraph: “This taught me the valuable lesson that we must always be grateful, of course, for every healing, but that we must never make a reality out of an illness, even after it has been healed.”

 “Even after it has been healed.” Very telling!

A story from Emi Abiko’s little book A Precious Legacy: Christian Science comes to Japan came to mind. A lot of the book speaks of Miss Boynton, an American teacher who supported well-to-do families in learning English and coaching them in Christian Science. Emi, when a young adult, had a serious problem on which she worked prayerfully with Miss Boynton. I will quote directly from the book here: “When the problem was solved, she said to me that she had never seen such a young woman overcome a trial of this kind. I was very happy about my triumph, but she said right away, “But, my dear, you must remember that nothing has ever happened. The only thing that has happened and that will ever happen is the unfolding of the Christ consciousness.”

Somehow this reminded me of our mulling over seeming disasters like travel problems, earthquakes, bushfires and floods here in Australia and elsewhere in the world. Are we hanging on to the experience rather than declaring that in reality no bad thing could have happened in a universe filled with good.

I will finish CS in Japan, then get on with the real February study book. Yes, it was in the cupboard!

Joyce Voysey

No comments:

Popular Posts