Total Pageviews

Friday 1 March 2013

Hymns we don’t sing!


by Joyce Voysey

I’ve just come to Hymn 140 -

If on our daily course, our mind

Be set to hallow all we find... 

What beautiful words.  As a First Reader I have never included this one in our services because I couldn't cope with the music.  My music Hymnal has crosses on the pages which I couldn't sing to myself with inadequate one-hand playing on the keyboard.  This is one of them.  And I notice that I have a note that it is not included in the list of hymns we play on our church’s CDs.
  
I feel rather bereft about having missed out on it for so many years.   Maybe Julie will sing it to me some time,

Ed. One time when our small Christian Science Society had no soloist, we had a talented member read a poem instead.  I wonder if some of the hymns could be read instead of sung sometimes.  By the way, of course there is now a beautiful new set of CDs available from the Christian Science Publishing Society which offer ALL the hymns in our hymnal, some including lovely new instruments like oboe and flute in the arrangements. 
  
And the concordance computer program CONCORD - available from Reading Rooms - has all the hymns on it, ready to play at the touch of a button.  I’ve just tried hymn 140, and even though it’s a little tricky, I think any congregation willing to put in a little effort and maybe some practice, could start to enjoy it!

No comments:

Popular Posts